Oct 24, 2008

Long Winter Ahead!

I just took Dax to the doc yesterday for his two month check up and, like I thought, he weighs over 10lbs now-- he weighs 11lbs 11.5 oz! I think what makes him look so chubby is the fact that he has only grown 2 inches, he is only 21 inches long! It's Mike's worst nightmare having a short son, Dax is only in the 1 percentile for height! I'm hoping that the computer didn't take into account that he was 4 weeks early! Anyway the good news is he is growing and putting on weight! He is still on his pulse oximeter, monitoring his blood oxygen level. Although he has been off oxygen for almost two weeks now he still dips down below 90 percent every once in a while. So the doc said he is going to try and get him qualified for Synagis-- a series of shots for RSV which cost 1ooo.oo a shot so insurance doesn't just let whoever get them, but he's sure Dax will qualify since he still is having lung problems. If he qualifies he will get a shot once a month during RSV season, which will help reduce his chances of getting RSV. If he does happen to get it anyway they help minimize it. Anyway he told us to not take him out as much as possible till RSV season is over because if he gets it he will be hospitalized. Hence the title "Long Winter Ahead". I will pretty much be a hermit all winter because I already am a hypochondriac and hearing that he will be hospitalized if he gets it just scares the crap out of me!

5 comments:

ashlan said...

Im glad to hear he is getting so big....Also be careful of hubby or sister bringing something home, RSV can sit alive for 48 hours if its brought into your house. We found that out the hard way. My MIL came over after going to Tipan and a few days later Ryker had RSV she was the only person who had come over in over a week ( I wouldn't let people in, I know Im CRAZY!) unless they took their clothes off and showered. Im not kidding! Good luck! I hope he keeps growing like he is!

The Small Bevell Bunch said...

Brit, It sounds like Dax is getting enough to eat almost too much :) If he ends up short he can hang out with Blake who we are sure is going to be short :) I hope he is RSV free this winter I know I would hate to be at home but its so warm inside I probably wouldn't go out anyways :) Take care!

Stacey said...

Brittney, You and I both know that we're fine with being hermits! Poor little Dax though. That's scary, but you are a good mom and I know you'll take good care of him. We'll drop food and movies off on your doorstep. Then you don't have to get our germs, but you can still be entertained.

ashlan said...

Brit he was 2 months when he first got it, the first time. When my MIL come over. The second time was from a DR. appointment. He was never put in the hospital for more than 12 hours. good luck!

Anonymous said...

Isn't insurance lovely? They don't cover a dang thing thing for Max! Sorry about the long winter ahead....but it is better to be a hermit than have a sick baby. Max had RSV last winter when he was one and it was no fun. After we got him better....I swear I never left the house with him because I was so paranoid. At least it will be freezing outside so maybe you won't want to go out as often anyways! Glad to hear that Dax is nice and chubby....he is so cute and his smile is adorable!